We mentioned De Montfort University Students’ Designs on the Catwalk last week – and I promised to try and get some photos of the event for you. Well, thanks to one of the young designers, Carli Wheatcroft, we now have them!
De Montfort University
Final year students from De Montfort University (DMU) agreed to help a catwalk show at Walkers Stadium on earlier this week on June 8th in a bid to boost independent business in Leicester.
Six students from DMU’s unique intimate apparel degree courses have agreed to lend their final collections – designed and created as part of their study – for the fashion show.
The event was being run by Katherine Ellis, who runs Cookie West lingerie and swimwear shop in the city’s Loseby Lane, who herself graduated DMU’s Contour Fashion degree in 2004.
Katherine said: “It’s been really tough for small businesses recently and this is great opportunity to raise profile of independent retailers and celebrate our success.”
“At the show we’ll have handmade jewellery by Clare Mason, children’s wear from Clafoutis, menswear from Casino, boyswear from Well Gosh and women’s wear from Polly’s, so we represent a really wide spectrum of styles and price.”
Carli Wheatcroft who graduates DMU’s Contour Fashion degree next monthshowed her Alice in Wonderland collection.
Four fellow students on the same degree who also lended their collections for the show are:
- Rebecca Mason with her Luminosity garments;
- Frankie Goulden whose work has a Rolls Royce theme;
- Leanne Gibson whose collection is called Saville Row;
- Rachel Sanchez and her collection titled Brit Trend.
Kelly Ann Garforth, is graduating DMU’s sister degree course, Fashion and Contour Design, and showed her collection called Egyptians.
We hope to have some photos of the event on TLP asap!
De Montfort University offers one of the only University level lingerie courses available. The Contour programme graduates potential designers of tomorrow. Here are some details of the programme.
Fashion and Contour Design – BA Honours Programme
- Mode(s): Full-time, part-time
- Duration: Three years full-time, six years part-time (day-time)
- Provides a unique opportunity to specialise in the creative and technical design aspects of contour and fashion design
- Supported by dedicated staff and technical resources
- Opportunity to produce an innovative range/collection of clothing
- The only degree course in the world to specialise in lingerie, underwear, bodywear, swimwear and performance sportswear
- Established in 1947 for the Leicester corset industry, Contour Fashion recently celebrated its 60th anniversary
- Maintains close links with the contour industry and educates specialist designers for a wealth of creative roles in the UK and worldwide
- Opportunities to work with companies on live projects, work placements and competition awards
- Supported by the ACE Style Institute, offers a specialist facility at DMU designed to bring all aspects of the contour fashion supply chain together
- Highly experienced teaching staff who advise contour fashion companies globally
What is expected of the enrolling students?
- Students should normally have a good portfolio, plus one of the following
- Successful completion of an Art and Design Foundation course
- National Diploma merit profile in a relevant subject
- 240 points, to include two GCE/VCE A Levels with grade C in one art or design subject
- All equivalent international qualifications are welcome, as are applications from mature students (21+) with alternative qualifications and/or work experience
- International students require an English language qualification of IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550/213, GCSE/GCE O Level grade C or equivalent
How is the teaching of the programme handled?
The teaching of the course includes formal lectures, group seminars, tutorials, presentations, practical workshops and studio-based activities. Assessment generally occurs at the end of each term with informal critiques held at appropriate times throughout the year.
How expensive is the programme?
- Overseas students: £8955 per year
- EU students: £3070 per year
- Please note that fees are subject to change each year. Overseas students are eligible for a 5% discount if fees are paid in full at the beginning of the course
- DMU offers some scholarships as well as an Art and Design bursary, currently £750. Visit dmu.ac.uk/international for detail
DMU also offers short courses.
- Bra Fitting
- Bra Making
- Bra Pattern cutting & Grading
- ‘Plus Sizes’ Bra Pattern Cutting & Grading
- Quality Assurance in the Imtimate Apparel Industry
- Structured Lingerie & Swimwear Design with Adobe Ilustrator
The short courses are usually 2-4 days long.
Who has graduated from the programme?
Find out more here: http://www.dmu.ac.uk/Subjects/Db/coursePage2.php?courseID=4511
Here are some sketches from the programme.