Investment and equity firms in recent years have taken a substantial interest in lingerie companies as solid investments. In many cases, they have bought controlling interest of the company and actually own the business. But these kinds of investments are normal considering the lingerie companies are valid businesses with significant return on investment. Recently, however, structured investment funds specializing in niche assets have expressed interest in memorabilia from artists and stars who possess long-standing and long-term future marketability.
And interestingly, Madonna is one of those stars whose items are hot commodities. In fact, Marquee Capital Ltd. owns more than one hundred and twenty-five Madonna pieces including several of her iconic lingerie items. Included in the collection are:
- 1986 “Open Your Heart” gold-tasseled bustier
- 1990 white satin bustier with cone cups, suspenders, and eleven hook and eye attachments
- 1990 “Blond Ambition Tour” full length white lace robe and gloves
- 1999 “American Pie” camisole synthetic blue top
Quick Points about the value of Madonna lingerie sold in past auctions:
- June 1999, Sotheby’s New York, sells “Who’s That Girl” tour bustier and hat for $12,650
- April 2001, Christie’s, London, sold black satin “Blonde Ambition” Jean-Paul Gaultier conical bra for £14,100
- August 2001, a New York store Gotta Have It in conjunction with Sotheby’s, sold a “Who’s That Girl Tour” bra with gold tassels for $20,550
- August 2003, Sotheby’s New York, auctioned beaded Dolce and Gabbana bra for £12,000
Other stars’ lingerie in the Marquee Capital collection are:
- LaToya Jackson’s bustiers consisting of two white seed pearl and sequined beading and one red lace with red satin trim
- Marilyn Monroe’s “Some Like it Hot” pink and white Georgian cotton corset
- Marilyn Monroe’s burgundy wool bathing suit, a pre-1950s style made by Swimaway
I guess if you have the money, anything can be bought and sold!