Friday 19th October has been designated ‘National Stockings Day’ and retro lingerie company What Katie Did has teamed up with the Hurly Burly burlesque troupe to deliver their ‘Bring Back Stockings’ petition to parliament. The invention of tights should have meant the end for stockings, but whilst the sales of tights continue to fall stocking sales are holding steady as new generations of stylish women discover their appeal. Nigella Lawson declares in this month’s Esquire magazine: “Stockings never fail to make you feel sexy”, and goes on to declare “I’ve worn them with nothing but a pair of shoes in bed before”. Oh la la!
The Hurly Burly girls recently chose burlesque costumier 2007 award winners What Katie Did to design their stage costumes and were dressed in 1950s style pink lingerie and black stockings.
What Katie Did specializes in retro style stockings and lingerie. Their flagship London boutique in the heart of Portobello opened on National Stockings Day: Friday 19th October.
Their ‘Bring Back Stockings’ petition has received hundreds of signatures with comments including:
- “What man can resist a the thrill of a lady in stockings? They make the world sexier!”
- “Tights are awkward, inelegant garments. Stockings are far more sophisticated.”
- “Suspenders and stockings bring the art of seduction back into sex. Men love ’em, women feel very sexy in them. Bring ’em back!”
- “They simply look delicious.”
- “The 21st Century world needs a little more sophisticated elegance and this is a good step forward in the right direction.”
- “Even beeing a Grandma for more than 18 years, I still think stockings are far more feminine and so sexy!!”
In Association with Breast Cancer Care
As I’m sure you’re all aware, October is Breast Cancer Care month. Along with their pink What Katie Did lingerie Hurly Burly girls are wearing limited edition pink ribbon stockings by Charnos which have been designed specifically for Breast Cancer Care (10% of profits go to Breast Cancer Care).